Pune, 24th January 2023: Consortium for Advancing Indian Tertiary Education (CITE) was formed as the result of the Workshop on Transforming Indian Higher Education which was organized in collaboration with Indo US Partnership and MIT World Peace University. The three day workshop which took place at the Sheraton Grand Hotel, Pune saw participation by near 100 Vice Chancellors all over the world from various reputed universities. The workshop was inaugurated by Hon. Shri. Bhagat Singh Koshyari, Hon’ble Governor of Maharashtra on 22nd January 2023.
The declaration the Role of Higher Education in Re-establishing India as Vishwa Guru, or Teacher to the World was read out by Shri. Sanjay Dhande, Former Director, IIT Kanpur. He said, “We recognize the crucial role that higher education plays in the development of a strong and prosperous nation. By harnessing the power of higher education, India can once again become one of the world’s significant models for an advanced and harmonious society. We therefore declare the following:
1. Advance Quality at All Levels of Higher Education: Through attention to institutional governance, curricular design, and student support infrastructure, we will promote quality at all levels of higher education. We commit to pursuing opportunities to understand and share best practices in classroom pedagogy, instructional innovation, and experiential learning to ensure that Indian universities provide the necessary quality in undergraduate and graduate education, as well as much-needed upskilling, professional development and continuing education programs.
2. Build an Accessible, Inclusive, and Affordable Higher Education System: We will work to create an inclusive and equitable higher education system, where opportunities are accessible to all, regardless of gender, background or socioeconomic status.
3. Promote a Culture of Excellence in Research and Innovation: We believe research for the purposes of discovery and innovation is a fundamental aspect of social and economic development, and that an environment of free and ethical inquiry is essential to research that will truly better society.
4. Pursue Sustainability and Social Betterment: We will steadfastly support research and development of new technologies and approaches that have the potential to promote sustainability on campus, in the community and across the world, and we will promote ethical, responsible, and sustainable means to bring these technologies to market.
5. Demonstrate the Value of Internationalisation and Global Connections in Education: We will work to ensure that all higher education institutions actively internationalise their curricula, pedagogy, innovation culture and research, and we will develop opportunities for partnership and exchange with institutions around the world.
6. Promote the Cultural Heritage of India: We hereby commit to promoting and strengthening the cultural and spiritual heritage of Indian higher education.”
Dr. Suresh Garimella, President, University of Vermont, USA said, “CITE will work for the betterment of Higher Education in the nation. There are many things that the Indian Model of Education needs to learn from the USA’s Model and vice a versa. CITE will be a catalyst and provide more research opportunities and will provide better access to researchers and educators.”
Dr. Souvik Bhattacharya, Vice Chancellor, BITS Pilani, Rajasthan said, “For India to do well, its universities should do well. If we work in united manner, we will be able to work better. CITE will have a huge impact on Higher Education in India and will dedicatedly work to solve the issues faced in the field.”
Shri. Rahul V. Karad said, “We resolve to take action to realize the power of higher education in India so that the nation will once again become a Vishwa Guru, engaging as a respected partner in the global community which seeks to advance a just, sustainable and harmonious world.”
The press conference was addressed by Prof. Suresh Garimella, President, University of Vermont USA, Dr. Sanjay Dhande, Former Director, IIT Kanpur, Dr. Souvik Bhattacharya, Vice Chancellor, BITS Pilani, Rajasthan, Shri. Rahul Karad, Executive President MITWPU, Dr. Ravikumar Chitnis, VC, MITWPU, Dr. Prasad Khandekar, Dr. Subbarao
Also Read News In Marathi
Join Punekar News Whatsapp Group, Telegram, Instagram And Twitter For Regular Update about Pune City And Pimpri-Chinchwad
Also Read Political News On Sarkar Khabar